BBO Discussion Forums: Cards of a different color - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Cards of a different color

#21 User is offline   billw55 

  • enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 4,757
  • Joined: 2009-July-31
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2010-November-12, 07:13

I like four color cards. Black, green, red, yellow. Like these cards.

I understand that now and then, someone could be red/green colorblind. But .. maybe 1% of players at the outside? Meanwhile 100% of players are black/black and red/red colorblind.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn
0

#22 User is offline   Scoti 

  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 34
  • Joined: 2010-January-08
  • Location:Iowa or London

Posted 2010-December-12, 05:38

I would prefer to see: Spades=Black, Clubs=Blue (light to medium), Hearts=Red, and Diamonds=Tan ... I think I would find Red and Orange not differing enough to be any help, to me. Oh wait, the cards posted by Billw55, in the post just above mine are quite like I am thinking of. Those seem most excellent to me! (except they seem to have an extra "9" in the price ?!)
0

#23 User is offline   Elianna 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,409
  • Joined: 2004-August-29
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Switzerland

Posted 2010-December-12, 13:32

That's the price per dozen.

View PostScoti, on 2010-December-12, 05:38, said:

I would prefer to see: Spades=Black, Clubs=Blue (light to medium), Hearts=Red, and Diamonds=Tan ... I think I would find Red and Orange not differing enough to be any help, to me. Oh wait, the cards posted by Billw55, in the post just above mine are quite like I am thinking of. Those seem most excellent to me! (except they seem to have an extra "9" in the price ?!)

My addiction to Mario Bros #3 has come back!
0

#24 User is offline   Phil 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,071
  • Joined: 2008-December-11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:North Texas, USA
  • Interests:Getting back into golf after a very long layoff.

Posted 2010-December-12, 18:35

The worst cards to play with are the older decks with the scanner codes at the top, before the duplimates with the optical scanner came out. You look at a lot of gibbersh but a few tourneys still use these for pre-dooped boards.

Curious what others will say about four color decks. Many older players seems to have a lot of vision problems and end up revoking a lot. I think someone can develop a market for a special deck that not only has colored suit symbols, but the field of the card isn't white, its the color of the suit (four colored of course).

I have seen one player in LA that has serious vision problems use this special deck with oversized suit symbols that are annoying to play with. Then I realize what she has to contend with on a daily basis and suddenly it doesn't bother me to play a swiss match against her.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.
0

#25 User is offline   BillHiggin 

  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 489
  • Joined: 2007-February-03

Posted 2010-December-12, 21:11

View Postbillw55, on 2010-November-12, 07:13, said:

I like four color cards. Black, green, red, yellow. Like these cards.

I understand that now and then, someone could be red/green colorblind. But .. maybe 1% of players at the outside? Meanwhile 100% of players are black/black and red/red colorblind.


In fact: 1 of 12 males have impaired color vision (inaccurately called color blindness). That means 1 of 24 people or about 4%.
You must know the rules well - so that you may break them wisely!
0

#26 User is offline   barmar 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Posts: 18,392
  • Joined: 2004-August-21
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2010-December-13, 11:55

Wikipedia says that deuteranomaly, the most common form of color blindness, affects 6% of males. This is one of four forms of color blindness that are grouped under "red-green", and the other 3 affect about 1% of males. So in total we're talking about 9% of males.

However, I'd expect that color blind playes are better at recognizing the shapes of the suit symbols, since they rely less on the color cues. Although if they're used to traditional red and black suits, which they can still distinguish, they could be caught off-guard when they encounter 4-color cards.

#27 User is offline   NickRW 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,948
  • Joined: 2008-April-30
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sussex, England

Posted 2010-December-14, 09:24

I have a friend who is a keen amateur snooker player who has distinct red/green colour vision impairment. He gets by - he just has to look twice sometimes.

So, sure blue/red/orange/green (say) is maybe not the optimium choice for suit colours - but I don't buy that it makes matters significantly worse for some people and should not therefore be used when in fact it makes things much better for quite a lot of folk.

Anyway, just pick more optimum colours - black, deep red, pale orange and turquoise should put most objections to bed.

Nick
"Pass is your friend" - my brother in law - who likes to bid a lot.
0

#28 User is offline   barmar 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Posts: 18,392
  • Joined: 2004-August-21
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2010-December-14, 11:33

Are these the same colors as in bidding boxes? It would probably be best to keep things consistent between them. Although bidding boxes have the added feature that the positions of the tags on the cards reflect the suit ordering, so players probably depend less on the color coding.

#29 User is offline   NickRW 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,948
  • Joined: 2008-April-30
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sussex, England

Posted 2010-December-14, 11:55

View Postbarmar, on 2010-December-14, 11:33, said:

Are these the same colors as in bidding boxes? It would probably be best to keep things consistent between them. Although bidding boxes have the added feature that the positions of the tags on the cards reflect the suit ordering, so players probably depend less on the color coding.


The majority of colours I see in England are like this, though some are like this. And I've seen yet a third variation recently.

I agree that consistency would be best. Perhaps some card and bid box manufacturer wants to take up the challenge????

Nick
"Pass is your friend" - my brother in law - who likes to bid a lot.
0

#30 User is offline   NickRW 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,948
  • Joined: 2008-April-30
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sussex, England

Posted 2010-December-14, 11:59

Oops - duplicate
"Pass is your friend" - my brother in law - who likes to bid a lot.
0

#31 User is offline   BillHiggin 

  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 489
  • Joined: 2007-February-03

Posted 2010-December-14, 14:02

View Postbarmar, on 2010-December-13, 11:55, said:

Wikipedia says that deuteranomaly, the most common form of color blindness, affects 6% of males. This is one of four forms of color blindness that are grouped under "red-green", and the other 3 affect about 1% of males. So in total we're talking about 9% of males.

However, I'd expect that color blind playes are better at recognizing the shapes of the suit symbols, since they rely less on the color cues. Although if they're used to traditional red and black suits, which they can still distinguish, they could be caught off-guard when they encounter 4-color cards.


At the size used for pips on playing cards, the 4 color schemes do not cause me much trouble. When used in publications at smaller text font scale, the orange and green can tend to disappear (which is very annoying). The symbol offered in this editor is NOT my friend.
You must know the rules well - so that you may break them wisely!
0

#32 User is offline   gordontd 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 4,173
  • Joined: 2009-July-14
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London

Posted 2010-December-14, 14:33

View PostPhil, on 2010-December-12, 18:35, said:

The worst cards to play with are the older decks with the scanner codes at the top, before the duplimates with the optical scanner came out. You look at a lot of gibbersh but a few tourneys still use these for pre-dooped boards.

They're widely used here. I don't notice the bar-codes at all, and I'd be surprised if anyone did who played with them much. Brains are good at editing out the stuff that's irrelevant to their needs.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK
0

#33 User is offline   Gerardo 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Posts: 2,208
  • Joined: 2003-February-12
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Amherst, NS, Canada

Posted 2010-December-15, 16:28

View PostBillHiggin, on 2010-December-14, 14:02, said:

At the size used for pips on playing cards, the 4 color schemes do not cause me much trouble. When used in publications at smaller text font scale, the orange and green can tend to disappear (which is very annoying). The symbol offered in this editor is NOT my friend.


If using Firefox or Chrome, try the Stylish extension with this style: Bridge Base Forums - Red/Black Suits

#34 User is online   Vampyr 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 9,404
  • Joined: 2009-September-15
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:London

Posted 2011-January-06, 02:51

View Postgordontd, on 2010-December-14, 14:33, said:

They're widely used here. I don't notice the bar-codes at all, and I'd be surprised if anyone did who played with them much. Brains are good at editing out the stuff that's irrelevant to their needs.

No, I don't think people do notice them. We are really used to them here, and in fact rarely use any other type. I do remember, however, the first time I saw bar-coded cards. It was many years ago, and I was very hung over, and the bar codes were making me dizzy and also causing me to feel like I was going to vomit.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein
1

#35 User is offline   Trinidad 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 4,405
  • Joined: 2005-October-09
  • Location:Netherlands

Posted 2011-January-06, 05:18

View PostVampyr, on 2011-January-06, 02:51, said:

No, I don't think people do notice them. We are really used to them here, and in fact rarely use any other type. I do remember, however, the first time I saw bar-coded cards. It was many years ago, and I was very hung over, and the bar codes were making me dizzy and also causing me to feel like I was going to vomit.

Careful use of the Ockham's razor principle might suggest that the bar codes were not the cause of your troubles. :) ;)

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg
3

#36 User is offline   66ANDY 

  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1
  • Joined: 2019-May-18

Posted 2019-May-18, 05:11

View PostSiegmund, on 2010-October-11, 19:15, said:

The red/green colour blindness point is one that I hadn't thought of - it could well be common enough to be a powerful argument against using 4 different inks, rather than light. vs dark for clubs and spades.

Yes, red-green color-blindness affects about 2% of the population - and therefore 4% of men (because the color-blind gene is recessive in women). It is a good reason against the green clubs. The orange diamonds are no more of problem to them than the red ones, I imagine.

I want to understand who put the black-red-orange-green foursome into play. Just about all the bidding boxes I see use these four suit colors.

I am researching this subject. Here in Europe I have played with decks that had orange diamonds and gray clubs which I think you can find in Germany and in Spain. That seems like the best solution for the moment.

Personally I want 4-color cards to become the standard. I do not like having two red suits.
0

Share this topic:


  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users